Quotes are defined as the repeat of words written or spoken by someone else. Just as the definition goes these quotes are great and inspiring words which were said by great and wise men and women of the old, great writers like Chinua Achebe, Remarkable leaders Nelson Mandela, striking words that may sound very funny, complicated, or even meaningless, but in deep sense and thoughts are words which are very powerful and can change one’s life, behavior, and thoughts if applied or used as a word sword by a person.
Africa is one country which is known and respected for her rich and amazing diverse cultures and traditions. These long aged quotes, adage, and sayings are regarded as words of the wise people of the old which were used to indirectly speak, admonish, advice and direct one towards the right parts and actions. Some of these great sayings and words are used to either praise great leadership, caution the arrogant, give warning about friendship, These words are certainly going to be quite helpful if you pick a few of them that would serve as your watchwords.
Below are a few major and popular African quotes
- Marriage is like a nut, you don’t get to know what is inside till you crack it
- If you think that you are too small to make a difference then, you have not spent a night with a mosquito.
- Half education is more dangerous than no education – Chris Ukaobasi
- The fool speaks, the wise man listens
- Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today
- One who causes others misfortune also teaches them wisdom
- Patience cooks the stone
- The lizard that jumps from an iroko tree to the ground, would always praise himself if no one did.
- When a crocodile smiles and shows its teeth, Be careful
- If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work, then every woman in Africa would be a millionaire. – George Monbiot
- Education is the most powerful weapon, you can use to change the world – Nelson Mandela
- Home affairs are not talked outside in the public square
- Hold a true friend with both hands – Nigerian Quote
- Anger against a brother is felt in the flesh, not in the bone.
- The falling of dry leaves from a tree is a warning to other leaves on the tree, so never celebrate other people’s downfall.
- He who must swallow ‘Udala’ seed must check the size of his stomach
- A child who says his/her mother would not sleep, would also not sleep
- Nobody is born wise
- Maize bears fruit once and dies because it is not rooted in the ground
- There is no better mirror than an old friend
- After climbing a great hill, one gets to find out that there are more hills to climb – Nelson Mandela.
- Pretend you are dead and you will see who loves you – African Quote
- Knowledge without wisdom is like water inside a sand
- A good thing sells itself, a bad one advertises itself
- The old woman looks after the young to grow its teeth and the young looks after the old when she loses her teeth.
- Never tell the man carrying you that he stinks
- Wisdom does not come overnight
- A single bracelet does not jingle
- The little bird that hops off the ground and lands on an Ant-hill might not know it is still on the ground.
- It is better to be loved than feared
- Don’t try to be different just be good, to be good is different enough
- Love never gets lost, it is only kept
- One of the truest tests of integrity is the blunt refusal to compromise – Chinua Achebe
- Do not fight a lion if you are not one itself
- The wise creates proverbs for fools to learn not repeat
- Patience puts a crown on the head
- Quarrel ends, but the words which were spoken never dies
- It always seems impossible until it is done
- No legacy is as rich as honesty
- Everybody has been young before, but not everybody has been old before
More Quotes and Now Their Meaning
1. The Quote: After a foolish deed comes remorse
The Meaning: Feeling sorry always comes after a foolish act
2. The Quote: A man who pays respect to the great, paves way for his own greatness
The Meaning: Whatever you sow, you will reap
3. The Quote: If a child washes his hands he might eat with kings
The Meaning: If you prepare and train yourself well when the opportunity presents itself, you would achieve a lot
4. The Quote: Wherever a man goes to dwell, His character goes with him
The Meaning: Character is what defines a man, as it follows him wherever he goes
5. The Quote: The poor man and the rich man does not play together
The Meaning: The poor man has no business with the rich as they are a different class of people
6. The Quote: A bad name is like a stigma
The Meaning: Live right, as whatever you do or people know you for would always be associated with you.
7. The Quote: A fly that does not have good advice follows a corpse to the grave
The Meaning: One can fall into a trap if he does not take or have good advice
8. The Quote: Do not look at where you fell, but where you slipped
The Meaning: Do not look at your mistake, but at what made you make such a mistake else you would go over the same mistake again
9. The Quote: When a handshake passes the elbow it becomes another thing
The Meaning: Be careful to notice when you are made fun of or when an unfamiliar person knows too much.
10. The Quote: When a mighty tree falls, the birds get scattered away
The Meaning: When a great leader dies, many people lose their way except another great leader emerges.
11. The Quote: If the rat cannot flee enough, let him make way for the tortoise to
The Meaning: If one cannot achieve or do something, let him give others the chance to try also.
12. The Quote: An old woman is always uneasy whenever dry bones are mentioned in a proverb
The Meaning: Your mind would always judge you once you are guilty of a certain crime.
13. The Quote: What an elder sees while sitting, a child cannot see even while standing
The Meaning: This means that the older persons know more than the younger ones because they have lived longer, have experienced, and have more knowledge than the younger.
14. The Quote: No matter how long a log finds itself in water, it can never become a crocodile
The Meaning: Notwithstanding how long you act, pretend, or fake your identity, you will aways be who you are.
15. The Quote: The day I need a wife, the market would be filled with mad people
The Meaning: This quote is most used when one is trying to illustrate his ill luck and it means that, Whenever one need something he would not get nor find it.